What at first seemed funny and different for an owner, Mets owner Steve Cohen’s Twitter account has quickly become grating, controversial and tiresome to many — and a tweet he fired off Wednesday morning added to that saga.
According to Cohen, the Mets were in line to reunite with Steven Matz, who donned orange and blue from 2015 to 2020, going 31-41 with a 4.35 in 579 2/3 innings. However, Matz opted to sign a four year, $44 million contract with the Cardinals instead, incensing Cohen.
I’m not happy this morning . I’ve never seen such unprofessional behavior exhibited by a player’s agent.I guess words and promises don’t matter.
— Steven Cohen (@StevenACohen2) November 24, 2021
MORE: Wander Franco’s new 11-year contract, explained
Matz spent last season in Toronto and had one of the best years of his career. He went 14-7 with a 3.82 ERA while striking out 144 in 150 2/3 innings.
The Mets apparently made Matz a similar offer to the one from St. Louis, along with several other teams, before he opted to head to the Cardinals.
The Mets had made Matz an offer, but so did seven other teams. In the end, he liked the fit with the Cardinals, who play less than a five-hour drive from his full-time home in Nashville. Credit to @JeffPassan first on the signing.
— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) November 24, 2021
MORE: 2021 MLB free-agency tracker
In response to Cohen’s tweet, Rob Martin, Matz’s agent, put out a statement.
Statement from Steven Matz’s agent, Rob Martin. pic.twitter.com/yC4p1FPfaP
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 24, 2021
Martin also apparently spoke to Cohen on Wednesday morning and seemed to ease the tension and downplay any concerns of beef between the two.
I spoke to Rob Martin, Steven Matz’s agent. He said he called Steve Cohen this morning after Cohen’s tweet. He said he thought the tension/hostility was less after the conversation. He said he, Matz and his agency hold no animus/grudge toward the #Mets.
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) November 24, 2021
The Mets have yet to make a big splash so far in free agency after losing longtime No. 2 starter Noah Syndergaard to the Angels and thus far failing to work out deals for Michael Conforto and Javier Baéz to return to Citi Field.